Thursday, August 1, 2013

Today's lesson will be about idioms that are connected to nationalities and countries. Want to find what these famous idioms are? Read them below.



1. Go Dutch

- [for each person in a pair or a group] to pay for himself or herself.

Example:

I don't want you to pay for my ticket. Let's go Dutch. Is it still considered a date if you go Dutch?

2. Greek to Me

- used when someone is not understandable

Example:  

from The Tragedy of Julius Caesar (1599) by William Shakespeare

CASSIUS: Did Cicero say any thing?
CASCA: Ay, he spoke Greek.
CASSIUS: To what effect?
CASCA: Nay, an I tell you that, I'll ne'er look you i' the face again: but those that understood him smiled at one another and shook their heads; but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me. I could tell you more news too: Marullus and Flavius, for pulling scarfs off Caesar's images, are put to silence. Fare you well. There was more foolery yet, if I could remember it.

3.  Talk for England

- when someone can talk for hours and hours

Example:

"I’m so sorry I'm late. I couldn’t get away from Linda. She can talk for England!"


4.  A Mexican Standoff 

– a situation in which no one can emerge as a clear winner


Example:

There appears to be a Mexican standoff as neither party can agree on the terms of the merger.

5. Indian Summer (UK)

- a successful or pleasant period in someone's life, especially towards the end of their life

Example:

The book describes the last 20 years of Churchill's life, including his Indian summer as prime minister between 1951 and 1955.

Sources: 1 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment